Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)In late Oct. I wrote a review of this product based on my intitial impressions from around 2 weeks of use. I gave the product 3 stars after a number of hassles that seemed to be ending. Well, this weekend I uninstalled this piece of crap for the 4th and last time. And like virutally everything else about the product, even the uninstall didn't work correctly and I am still suffering from Norton's mess that they loaded onto my computer. Here's the lowdown on a worthless software program that will stay in memory as the single most destructive thing I have ever had around.
It hogs memory. I went out and bought another 128mb which Norton instantly grabbed. 374mb and you would have thought I had an orignal antique computer from the 50s. Both the boot and shut down times lasted so long I could take a bathroom break and still get back before anything had finished. While the computer was on I continually heard my hard drives doing something almost nonstop.
The program often misdownloads during startup. You are suppose to see icons for the virus and firewall in your bottom tray. No icons means you can't open the program. It is runing in the background but will not open a window regardless of what you do. The only solution is to completely shut down and then restart your computer. Do this 2 or 3 times a day and things get tiring real fast. Norton's excellent online help site mentions that changing the order in which it is loaded may solve this problem. Part way into a major rewrite of my set up, and I'm not a computer geek, convinced me that I didn't buy a program to learn how to write software.
The program often refuses to let you on the Internet. This is what did it for me in the end. I got so sick of being unable to connect. It would take a complete uninstall, and I mean complete, to solve the problem. Just using your start/settings/control panel/uninstall was not enough. You had to also do a start/find/norton&symantec and delete every darn thing before whatever mess they created was finally removed. The last and final time I did this Norton must have realized I was dumping them forever because the Uninstall refused to start. :) Haha. I kid you not. 4, count them, 4 complete shutdowns and startups on the computer were needed before the Uninstall would finally begin to work. And then I had to manually delete anything I could find with their name on it. I have a sneaking hunch there is still stuff on the hard drive but several hidden files I tried to change are somehow producted by Windows so I decided to leave them as they are.
I am running a free version of ZoneAlarm at the moment and shopping for a new virus program. I had Norton AntiVirus before and was happy with it but I'm frankly scared to install anything with their name on it after what happened. I don't like buggy software and I hate stuff that digs into your system and hides itself everywhere and then refuses to leave.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Norton Internet Security 2004
Click here for more information about Norton Internet Security 2004
0 comments:
Post a Comment