Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)When the virus update subscription expires each year, I generally buy an upgrade to latest version of Norton Systemworks. The modest additional expense is usually justified by the new features provided in the latest version. That decision turned out to be a waste of time and money this year. The first two installation attempts failed, the Password Manager, provided in the 2004 version is gone, and the new features are modest at best.
I upgraded from the 2004 version on my clean and stable system. Systemworks is designed to completely uninstall the previous version before attempting to install the new version. This takes time, and must not have been effective. The installation failed, citing several files that were missing. The web based troubleshooting procedure led me through a complex maze of garden paths, wild goose chases, and frustrating dead ends. Although the second installation attempt never completed, upon reboot the system seemed to work. This installation took about 3 hours.
I enjoyed the Password Manager feature from the 2004 version. A cryptic message during installation announced that my password manager was being removed. The message went on to give incorrect information regarding how to restore it. Eventually I was able to get it restored.
Also, keep in mind that installing the new version can cut short any remaining time on your existing subscription. My subscription was due to expire in November. Last year when I installed the new system, the subscription was extended for one year from the installation date, not the expiration date. So now the subscription ends in October, a month short. (This comment reflects my experience with the 2004 version. With the subscription cut short, it ran out before I installed the 2005 version.)
Now that the system is working I am wondering what I got for my time and trouble. The new features are modest at best. If you have the 2004 version installed, I recommend you stay with it. 2005 turns out to be an odd year for this product.
I gave Symantec an opportunity to comment on the accuracy of this review. In response the Product Manager called me, discussed my concerns, promised to provide technical support, and provided this written comment: "Based on the information [this reviewer] provided us, the installation issues he encountered appear to be an isolated issue. We are putting him in touch with Symantec technical support to investigate the issue further".
Click Here to see more reviews about: Norton SystemWorks 2005
Click here for more information about Norton SystemWorks 2005
0 comments:
Post a Comment